As we ring in the new year, many of you may still be traveling around for some last-minute visits or taking a winter vacation somewhere more tropical. The new year also means resolutions, and a healthier lifestyle is often included. One of the best ways to get your 2014 exercise goals off right is with new workout gear! When I have a cute outfit laid out for the next day, I am excited when that alarm goes off in the morning and I get to wake up and put it on. Don’t allow excuses like traveling or lack of equipment stop you from achieving your goals. Grab your favorite Dona Jo leggings and get your butt in gear! This week, I’m showing you some excellent body-weight exercises and the perfect leggings to do them in.
Let’s start off with some great cardio-type exercises to get your heart rate up. The busy paint print in these JoJo Leggings makes perfect sense to do quick movements in. This fun print will help keep you engaged while doing your workout.
The first exercise here is mountain climbers.
- Start in push-up position.
- Bend one knee and pull it towards your chest and then back to the starting position.
- Do the same with the other leg and pick up the pace once you have the motions correct.
- Continue for 30 seconds.
The other action shown here is the jump-squat.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hands behind your head.
- Tilt you hips and sit back into a squat position (make sure from your knee to your shin is a perpendicular line from the ground—in other words, don’t let your knees stick out further than your toes).
- Use your lower half to power yourself up and off the ground.
- Upon landing, drop back down into a squat.
- Continue this fluid exercise for 20 seconds.
Take 10 seconds to recover and do two more sets of these 2 exercises.
A favorite area for a JoJo to tone is her tush! Your legs will look amazing in these Linda V tribal print leggings. The print is in the front and a solid grey cuts from the waistband over the hips and to the back—putting a flattering emphasis on those glutes. After you put these leggings on, you will want to leap right into butt exercises.
Donkey kicks, pictured in the top left, are a great exercise if done properly.
- Lay on your hands and knees with your back parallel to the ground. (Maintain the 90-degree bend at your knee throughout the exercise.)
- Keeping your back straight and abs tight, lift one leg until it is in line with your back.
- Slowly lower back to the starting position and repeat with the other leg.
- Repeat 15-20 times. The key is to make the movements slow and controlled while keeping your core engaged.
The exercise in the bottom left is single-leg glute bridges.
- Lay on your back with your knees bent.
- Straighten one leg but keep your quads in line with one another.
- Slowly lift your hips up off the ground until you make a straight line from your toes to your shoulder, pausing at the top.
- Lower your hips back down and repeat with the same leg 10 times, then do the same with the other leg.
Try three sets of these two exercises.
The last move I want to recommend is the plank. It is a fantastic core and all-over body toning exercise. The Quattro leggings work great here because the orange detail wraps around your lower waist to keep you focused on that area. The front and back of the waistband are smooth though so there’s no irritation if you’re on your stomach or back for other core exercises.
- For the plank, your weight is distributed between your forearms and your toes as you lie face down on the floor.
- You want your back to stay flat—don’t sink your hips or let your butt get too high in the air.
- Hold for 30-60 seconds (depending on your ability) and squeeze your abs the entire time.
- Without dropping to the floor, flip onto your left side. From your head to your toes, your body should be a straight line. Hold for 30-60 seconds and flip onto your right side.
Go for three or four sets of front, left, and right planks.
These exercises are achievable anywhere you have room to sprawl out. If you’re staying at a hotel or guest room, you can still sneak in a quick and fun workout in your favorite pair of Dona Jo Leggings. You can do this, JoJos! Grab your favorite prints today before they sell out!